Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Labor Day For Some, Not for All

Labor Day!! Woohoo. Just had a long weekend and Monday off. But the person that got me some Starbucks didn't. Or the bus driver that drove me back to Washington, DC. Or the CVS employee that rang up my Gatorade. I can probably go on with a longer lists of those who labored on Labor day. Doesn't that sound a bit...ironic?

Look, I'm happy to have had the day off. And yes, I participated in the Labor-less activities of movie going and traveling. If it wasn't for this day, I would've missed out on my god-fatherly duties of seeing my godson Jace. Again, very happy to have been off.

But my brokeians, I couldn't help but be aware of the contradictory concept of a national day where EVERYBODY gets the day off. Doesn't that include the folks at Starbucks? I mean, I easily could've roasted a cup at my frat brother's parents place. But then again: Breakfast that morning at the diner was quite massively delicious.

This is the curious conundrum in which I find myself when thinking of our culture and its idea of time off. Seems like you can get it...but at the expense of who?

forever Free...till my labor day,

B.A.S.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment