Thursday, August 18, 2011

"walk a mile in my broke ass shoes"

Or 170. Today, my fellow brokes, I was reminded of why earlier this summer I walked for two weeks along the Hudson River, in Upstate NY. As I left my current location and walked to campus, I felt back into a rhythm where my mind could keep pace with my feet. There was an ease and stillness that fell over me, and the worries of food, purpose, survival, artistic perfection seemed to drift away like a loose leaf on the catching wind. I just walked. My feet knew what to do; they carried me. I me passer-bys on the way. A smile or a head-nod was exchanged. All was well. Not much mattered. It was free and simple, just as nature should be.

Nature is the quintessential teacher: It invites your curiosity to explore its vast playground. And when you think you've discovered its meaning or mastered its terrain, nature drops a hail storm on you just as a friendly reminder of your divine ignorance. Yeah- happen to me on Day 9 of my hike. But it is also fair, providing shade for the sun-weary, and water for the parched soul. And always, a breath-taking, awe inspiring view. Here's some examples:o)


I'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes:

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

forever Free,
B.A.S.A

No comments:

Post a Comment